The Dark Side of the Ivory Tower: Campus Crime as a Social Problem by John J. Sloan, III (Hardback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $88.50Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $142.94+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA cursory reading of the history of US colleges and universities reveals that campus crime has been part of collegiate life since the Colonial Era, yet it was t until the late 1980s that it suddenly became an issue on the public stage. Drawing from numerous mass media and scholarly sources and using a theoretical framework grounded in social constructionism, this text chronicles how four groups of activists - college student advocates, feminists, victims and their families, and public health experts - used a variety of tactics and strategies to convince the public that campus crime posed a new danger to the safety and security of college students and the ivory tower itself, while simultaneously convincing policymakers to take action against the problem. Readers from a range of disciplinary interests will find the book both compelling and valuable to understanding campus crime as a newly constructed social reality.
- Author BiographyJohn J. Sloan III is Associate Professor of Criminal Justice and Sociology and Chair of the Department of Justice Sciences at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. He has authored or co-authored more than 100 scholarly articles, book chapters, research reports, and presentations and co-edited two previous books on campus crime. Professor Sloan has been a Research Scientist at the Institute for the Study of Children and Families at Eastern Michigan University, as well as Visiting Professor of Criminal Justice at the universities of Alabama and West Florida. Bonnie S. Fisher is Professor in the School of Criminal Justice and a research Fellow at the Center for Criminal Justice Research at the University of Cincinnati. She has authored or co-authored more than 150 scholarly publications and has co-edited four volumes that focus on victimization issues. Professor Fisher was an honorary visiting scholar at the University of Leicester, Scarman Centre in the UK; a visiting scholar in the Division of Prevention and Community Research at the Consultation Center at Yale University School of Medicine; and a Visiting Professor in the Department of Sociology at John Jay College of Criminal Justice.
- Author(s)III,John J. Sloan
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2010
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus.
- Weight500 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.31New
- AU $32.62New
- AU $20.06New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.93New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $20.04New
- AU $32.19New
- AU $21.90New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $16.52Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $21.50Trending at AU $23.92
- AU $78.33Trending at AU $90.91
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.56
- AU $21.35Trending at AU $22.76
- AU $20.19Trending at AU $30.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.