All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow can you help preschoolers with autism thrive in inclusive classrooms? Support their success with this comprehensive, school-based program for children ages 3 to 5 with autism spectrum disorder. Blending best practices from applied behavior analysis and early childhood special education, the DATA Model is a proven program rooted in evidence-based practice and based on 20 years of testing and refinement. First, you'll assess children's functional needs with the DATA Model Skills Checklist; then you'll use more than 140 instructional programming sheets and lesson plans to increase children's developmental progress in the areas identified with the checklist. This linked system helps you pinpoint learning goals for children, promote their progress through tailored interventions, and support children in generalizing new skills and behaviors across settings. A must for autism and behavior specialists, SLPs, program directors, and early childhood special educators, the DATA Model is the all-in-one program you need to prepare young children with autism for long-term success at school and in their community. USE THE DATA MODEL TO: * create a developmentally appropriate learning environment * conduct assessment with the Skills Checklist to determine functional needs and learning goals * write clear, step-by-step instructional programs and lesson plans for every learning goal * select and deliver instructional strategies that fit the unique needs of each specific child * choose and use effective instructional tools such as discrete trials, naturalistic instruction, shaping, and chaining * embed learning opportunities within classroom activities and routines * address challenging behavior while increasing children's ability to communicate their needs * expertly organize children's assessments, programs, and other information for easy access * collaborate with families and the community to meet the needs of each child * monitor progress with the Skills Checklist, so you can clearly see if your interventions are working PRACTICAL MATERIALS: Skills Checklist, 140 instructional programming sheets and lesson plans, sample schedules, daily data collection sheets, Family Interview Survey, and more. All materials are photocopiable from the manual.
- Author BiographyIlene S. Schwartz, Ph.D. is Professor at the University of Washington, USA in the area of special education. Dr. Schwartz has an extensive background working with young children with special needs, specifically with young children with autism and other disabilities. Dr. Schwartz is the faculty advisor for the inclusive preschool and kindergarten programs at the Experimental Education Unit at the University of Washington, where she maintains an active line of research and personnel preparation activities. Dr. Schwartz is Principal Investigator of several projects, including a model demonstration project to develop school-based services for young children with autism, a research project to assess the differential effectiveness of preschool programs for young children with autism, and a personnel preparation program for early childhood education teachers who work with children with severe disabilities in inclusive settings. Dr. Schwartz has published numerous chapters and articles about early childhood education and social validity. She serves on the editorial review boards of the Journal of Early Intervention and Topics in Early Childhood Special Education. Dr. Sandall is an assistant professor at the University of Washington in special education with a specialization in early intervention and early childhood special education (EI/ECSE). She has directed personnel preparation projects, developed curriculum materials for all age groups, and published materials on instructional strategies to facilitate optimal outcomes for young children with disabilities. Dr. Sandall is a board member of the Division for Early Childhood (DEC), Council for Exceptional Children, and an investigator on DEC's research project to synthesize EI/ECSE research practices and translate them to recommended field practices. She is also co-editor of DEC's Young Exceptional Children monograph series and co-editor of DEC Recommended Practices in Early Intervention/Early Childhood Special Education (with Mary McLean and Barbara J. Smith, Sopris West, 2000).
- Author(s)Bonnie J. McBride,Crista Scott,Ilene S. Schwartz,Julie Ashmun,Susan R. Sandal
- PublisherBrookes Publishing Co
- Date of Publication30/10/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrookes Publishing Co
- Weight525 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.