All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn absorbing and enlightening adventure through time...This book tells the story of the ancient world from the Fourth Millennium to the Sixth Century BC. All the major civilizations are covered, from the Near East, Egypt and Mediterranean to the great river valleys of India and China and the coastlines of Mexico and Peru. The histories of these cultures have been woven into a compelling and compact narrative, illuminating this formative period and providing a context for the better-kwn classical era that followed. The Dawn of Civilization tells the story of the earliest kings and queens to grace the historical record, the rise and fall of the first empires, glorious battles, incredible invations and colourful myths and legends from the works of Homer and the ancient religions. Discover the harsh and uncompromising world of vain Egyptian pharaohs, brutal Assyrian warlords and bloodthirsty barbarian hordes. Marvel at the awe-inspiring age of mystical Cretan priestesses, heroic warriors and earthly wonders such as the Egyptian pyramids and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Anyone who has t specialised in ancient history could be forgiven for thinking that thing meaningful happened before the Fifth Century BC, when the western classical age is generally considered to have begun. However the civilized world existed and flourished for an incredible 3,500 years before the classical Greeks first came to prominence. Author Sean Ellerker provides a fresh perspective on antiquity by focusing solely on the ancient world before the rise of Greece and Rome, organising this remarkable period of history into a single volume. The Dawn of Civilization makes this fascinating and multifaceted era accessible to everyone. It is an ideal read for anyone interested in history, archaeology and the classics, including students of these subjects at school or university.
- Author BiographySean Ellerker graduated from the University of Sheffield with a BA in History and later completed an MA in Diplomacy at the University of Nottingham, specialising in international relations in the ancient world.
- Author(s)Sean Ellerker
- PublisherTroubador Publishing
- Date of Publication14/08/2014
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationLeicester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.