All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCombining his skills as a veteran journalist and well-practiced storyteller with his two decades of underwater adventures in maritime archaeology, Carl Naylor offers a candid account of remarkable discoveries in the Palmetto State's history and prehistory. Through a mix of personal anecdotes and archaeological data, Naylor's memoir documents his experiences in the service of the Maritime Research Division of the South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology. This insightful survey of Naylor's distinguished career is highlighted by his firsthand account of serving as diving officer for the raising of the Confederate available submarine H. L. Hunley in 1996 and the subsequent investigation of its victim, the USS Housatonic. He also recounts tales of dredging the bottom of an Allendale County creek for evidence of the earliest Paleoindians, exploring the waters of Port Royal Sound for a French corsair wrecked in 1577, searching for evidence of Hernando de Soto's travels through South Carolina in 1540, and other explorations. Naylor's narrative serves as an authoritative personal account of South Carolina's ongoing efforts to discover and preserve evidence of its own remarkable maritime history.
- Author BiographyA U.S. Navy veteran, Carl Naylor worked as a South Carolina newspaper journalist and a diving instructor before he joined the staff of the South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology, where he is diving supervisor and archaeologist assistant for its Maritime Research Division.
- Author(s)Carl Naylor
- PublisherUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2012
- Place of PublicationSouth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of South Carolina Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.28Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.