All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
- AU $44.18Free postage
- AU $44.37Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionBefore Raymond Chandler, before Dorothy Sayers or Agatha Christie, there was Metta Fuller Victor, the first American author-man or woman-of a full-length detective vel. This vel, The Dead Letter, is presented here along with ather of Victor's mysteries, The Figure Eight. Both written in the 1860s and published under the name Seeley Regester, these vels show how-by combining conventions of the mystery form first developed by Edgar Allan Poe with those of the domestic vel-Victor pioneered the domestic detective story and paved the way for generations of writers to follow. In The Dead Letter, Henry Moreland is killed by a single stab to the back. Against a background of post-Civil War politics, Richard Redfield, a young attorney, helps Burton, a legendary New York City detective, unravel the crime. In The Figure Eight, Joe Meredith undertakes a series of adventures and assumes a number of disguises to solve the mystery of the murder of his uncle and regain the lost fortune of his angelic cousin.
- Author BiographyMetta Fuller Victor (1831-1885) was a publisher, editor, author, and moral reformer. She is perhaps best known for her abolitionist dime novel Maum Guinea and Her Plantation Children (1861). Matching different pseudonyms to different genres, she published popular works for children and adults-including mysteries, Westerns, romances, temperance novels, and rags-to-riches tales. She wrote numerous pieces against slavery, alcohol, and Mormon polygamy. Catherine Ross Nickerson is Associate Professor of English at Emory University. She is the author of The Web of Iniquity: Early Detective Fiction by American Women, also published by Duke University Press.
- Author(s)Catherine Ross Nickerson,Metta Fuller Victor
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication05/08/2003
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Content Note14 illus.
- Weight544 g
- Width3963 mm
- Height5665 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $107.68
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $27.07Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $44.25Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.44
- AU $45.19Trending at AU $46.03
- AU $20.59Trending at AU $22.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.