All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThroughout Yugoslavia during World War II, anti-Semitism was both deeply rooted and widespread. Raphael Israeli traces the circumstances and the historical context in which the pro-Nazi Ustasha state, encompassing Croatia and Bosnia, erected the Jadov and Jasevac death camps. He distills fact and historical record from accusation and grievance. Both Serbs and Croats have accused each other of the wrongdoings that everyone kws occurred. While the German Nazis, Croat Ustasha, Serbian collaborators, Cetnicks, and Bosnian Hanjar recruits are often seen as the wrongdoers, certain individuals helped the Jews, hid them at great risk, and enabled them to survive. They were the only people who helped the Jews. This volume is t about judging one side or the other; it is about ackwledging the evil all sides inflicted upon the Jewish mirity in their midst. Serbs, Muslims, and Croats continue to dominate the ex-Yugoslavian scene. It has been their arena of battle for centuries, while the flourishing Jewish mirity culture in that area has all but come to a historical standstill and has almost completely vanished. Yet the struggle over the historical record continues.
- Author BiographyRaphael Israeli teaches Islamic, Chinese, and Middle Eastern History at Hebrew University, Israel. Israeli is the author of forty-six books and one hundred scholarly articles in the fields of Islamic studies, the Modern Middle East, and the opening of China by the French.
- Author(s)Raphael Israeli
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication30/08/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.