All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFeaturing experts from Europe, Australia, Japan, China, and the United States, this collection of essays follows changes in the theory and policy of China's death penalty from the Mao era (1949-1979) through the Deng era (1980-1997) up to the present day. Using empirical data, such as capital offender and offense profiles, temporal and regional variations in capital punishment, and the impact of social media on public opinion and reform, contributors relay both the character of China's death penalty practices and the incremental changes that indicate reform. They then compare the Chinese experience to other countries throughout Asia and the world, showing how change can be implemented even within a n-democratic and rigid political system, but also the dangers of promoting policies that society may t be ready to embrace.
- Author BiographyBin Liang is an associate professor of sociology at Oklahoma State University-Tulsa. He is the author of The Changing Chinese Legal System, 1978-Present: Centralization of Power and Rationalization of the Legal System, coauthor of China's Drug Practices and Policies: Regulating Controlled Substances in a Global Context, and with Hong Lu, coeditor of Jurisprudence: Contemporary Western Sociological Studies and Developments. Hong Lu is professor in the Criminal Justice Department at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. She is the coauthor of Punishment: A Comparative Historical Perspective and China's Death Penalty: History, Law and Contemporary Practices. Roger Hood is professor emeritus of criminology at the University of Oxford and emeritus fellow of All Souls College.
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication18/12/2015
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byBin Liang,Hong Lu
- Foreword byRoger Hood
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.51Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.