All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt its most basic, philosophy is about learning how to think about the world around us. It should come as surprise, then, that children make excellent philosophers! Naturally inquisitive, pint-size scholars need little prompting before being willing to consider life s big questions, however strange or impractical. Plato & Co. introduces children and curious grown-ups to the lives and work of famous philosophers, from Descartes to Socrates, Einstein, Marx, and Wittgenstein. Each book in the series features an engaging and often funny story that presents basic tenets of philosophical thought alongside vibrant color illustrations. Tell us, Delphic Oracle, who is the wisest man in all of Greece? So begins The Death of Socrates. No mortal man is wiser than Socrates, who, on his daily walks through Athens, talks to all the people he meets. When the person he talks to takes himself to be very wise, Socrates asks so many questions that the person ends up admitting he kws thing. When he runs into people who kw little, Socrates sets them on the way to wisdom. But t everyone shares Socrates s love for the truth. When the people of Athens become angry with him for his ceaseless questioning, how will he find the courage to continue to speak the truth? Plato & Co. s clear approach and charming illustrations make this series the perfect addition to any little library.
- Author BiographyJean Paul Mongin is a philosopher who lives and works in Paris. He is the editor of the Plato & Co. series. Anna Street is the translator for Plato and Co. She is a PhD candidate at Universite Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne and at the University of Kent. Yann Le Bras is an illustrator based in Nantes. Ronan de Calan is assistant professor in the Department of Philosophy at Universite Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne. Donatien Mary is a Paris-based illustrator and printmaker.
- Author(s)Jean Paul Mongin
- PublisherDiaphanes AG
- Date of Publication29/05/2015
- Place of PublicationZurich
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintDiaphanes AG
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight184 g
- Width152 mm
- Height221 mm
- Spine50 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.