All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn examination of the ways major vels by Marcel Proust, James Joyce, and Virginia Woolf draw attention to their embodiment in the object of the book, The Death of the Book considers how bookish format plays a role in some of the twentieth centuryGCOs most famous literary experiments. Tracking the passing of time in which reading unfolds, these vels position the bookGCOs so-called death in terms that refer as much to a simple description of its future vis-+a-vis other media forms as to the sense of finitude these books share with and transmit to their readers. As he interrogates the affective, physical, and temporal valences of literatureGCOs own traditional format and mode of access, John Lurz shows how these vels stage intersections with the phemenal world of their readers and develop a conception of literary experience t accounted for by either rigorously historicist or traditionally formalist accounts of the modernist period. Bringing together issues of media and mediation, book history, and modernist aesthetics, The Death of the Book offers a new and deeper understanding of the way we read w.
- Author BiographyJohn Lurz is Assistant Professor of English at Tufts University.
- Author(s)John Lurz
- PublisherFordham University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2016
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFordham University Press
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.