The Defense of Jisr Al-Doreaa: With E. D. Swinton's The Defence of Duffer's Drift by Michael L. Burgoyne, Albert J. Marckwardt (Paperback, 2009)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $16.59Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFollowing the invasion of Iraq in 2003, the U.S. military found itself in a battle with a lethal and adaptive insurgency, where the divisions between enemy and ally were ambiguous at best, and working with the local population was essential for day-to-day survival. From the lessons they learned during multiple tours of duty in Iraq, two American veterans have penned The Defense of Jisr al-Doreaa , an instructional parable of counterinsurgency that addresses the difficulties of war in the postmodern era. In this tactical primer based on the military classic The Defence of Duffer's Drift , a young officer deployed for the first time in Iraq receives ground-level lessons about urban combat, communications techlogy, and high-powered weaponry in an environment where policy meets reality. Over the course of six dreams, the inexperienced soldier fights the same battle again and again, learning each time - the hard way - which false assumptions and misconceptions he needs to discard in order to help his men avoid being killed or captured. As the protagonist grapples with the consequences of his mistakes, he develops a keen understanding of counterinsurgency fundamentals and the potential pitfalls of working with the native population. Accompanied here by the original vella that inspired it, The Defense of Jisr al-Doreaa offers an invaluable resource for cadets and junior military leaders - as well as general readers seeking a deeper understanding of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Just as Swinton's classic has been a hallmark of military instruction, The Defense of Jisr al-Doreaa will help draw the road map for counterinsurgency in the postmodern world.
- Author BiographyMichael L. Burgoyne is a captain in the United States Army who was deployed to Iraq in 2003 and 2005. He has also served as an instructor at the National Training Center, Fort Irwin, California. Albert J. Marckwardt, also a captain in the United States Army, served in Iraq in 2005 and 2007. He now serves as aide de camp to the commanding general at Fort Stewart, Georgia.
- Author(s)Albert J. Marckwardt,Michael L. Burgoyne
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication17/03/2009
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note8 halftones, 7 line drawings
- Weight181 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Foreword byJohn A. Nagl
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $87.24New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $33.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.97
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.