All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJudges in most societies often resort to resolving disputes by means of applying a criterion of reasonableness. In The Demise of the 'Reasonable Man' Michael Saltman explores the ways in which reasonableness varies from one legal culture to ather, defined by the relative presence or absence of centralized political power. In n-politically centralized societies, Saltman says, judges seek meanings underlying human behaviour, and try to place reasonableness within a societal and cultural context. This is possible because primitive societies are relatively homogeus in their values and tend towards consensus when determining what constitutes reasonable behaviour. In contrast, modern judges resort to standards of reasonableness only when the legal standard is unclear. Saltman contrasts judges in politically centralized societies, who, in the absence of such consensus, have the authority to determine, on the basis of that authority, what constitutes reasonableness. This rich volume references case studies drawn from ethgraphic fieldwork, historical sources, and law reports to demonstrate differences in judicial attitudes toward reasonableness.
- Author BiographyMichael Saltman is professor emeritus of anthropology at the University of Haifa, Israel. He has done field research among the Kipsigis of Kenya and within the Kibbutz Movement. His books include The Kipsigis: A Case Study in Changing Customary Law, Land, and Territoriality and Social Critique and Commitment.
- Author(s)Michael Saltman
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication30/06/2015
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight245 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.41
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.