All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince the 1960s, scholars and other commentators have frequently anunced the imminent decline of American financial power: excessive speculation and debt are believed to have undermined the long-term basis of a stable US-led financial order. But the American financial system has repeatedly shown itself to be more resilient than such assessments suggest. This book argues that there is considerable coherence to American finance: far from being a house of cards, it is a proper edifice, built on institutional foundations with points of both strength and weakness. The book examines these foundations through a historical account of their construction: it shows how institutional transformations in the late nineteenth century created a distinctive infrastructure of financial relations and proceeds to trace the contradiction-ridden expansion of this system during the twentieth century as well as its institutional consolidation during the neoliberal era. It concludes with a discussion of the forces of instability that hit at the start of the twenty-first century.
- Author BiographyMartijn Konings is a Lecturer in the Department of Political Economy at the University of Sydney. He has a Ph.D. from York University (Toronto) and has held postdoctoral research positions at York University and the University of Amsterdam. He has published widely in the field of political economy, including several edited volumes and articles in such journals as the New Left Review, the European Journal of Sociology, the Review of International Political Economy, Politics, the Review of International Studies, Critical Sociology and Theory and Event.
- Author(s)Martijn Konings
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication06/03/2014
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight330 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.