All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Dialogic Nation of Cape Verde: Slavery, Language, and Ideology is an ethgraphic study of language use and ideology in Cape Verde, from its early settlement as a center for slave trade, to the postcolonial present. The study is methodologically rich and invative in that it weaves together historical, linguistic, and ethgraphic data from different eras with sketches of contemporary life-a homicide trial, a scholarly meeting, a competition for a new national flag, a heterodox Catholic mass, an analysis of love letters, a priest's sermon, and a death in the neighborhood. In all these different contexts, Marcia Rego focuses on the role of Kriolu (the Cape Verdean Creole) and its relation to Portuguese-that is, on the way people live through speaking. The Dialogic Nation of Cape Verde shows how, through the dialogic give-and-take of the two languages, Cape Verdeans wrestle with deep-seated colonial hierarchies, invent and rehearse new traditions, and articulate their identity as a sovereign, creole nation.
- Author BiographyMarcia Rego is an assistant professor of the practice and director for faculty development and assessment at Duke University.
- Author(s)Marcia Rego
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication08/04/2015
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Content Note10 black & white illustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width161 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.68Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $21.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.92
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.