Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionThe Stuart writer and gardener John Evelyn (1620-1706), whose two-volume Sylva is also reissued in this series, kept a diary from the age of eleven, and in the 1680s began to compile this memoir from his records. It was first published in 1818 in an edition by the antiquarian William Bray; this three-volume version of 1906 was edited by Austin Dobson (1840-1921), the author and poet who also wrote the volume on Henry Fielding in the 'English Men of Letters' series, among many other literary biographies. In an extensive preface, Dobson explains his reasons for revisiting a work which had already received much editorial attention, and his introduction gives a short biography of its author. Volume 3 covers the period from 1677, including the death of Charles II and the Glorious Revolution, and ending with tes made a few weeks before Evelyn's death in 1706.
- Author(s)John Evelyn
- PublisherCambridge Library Collection
- Date of Publication27/07/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleCambridge Library Collection - British and Irish History, 17th and 18th Centuries
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note15 b/w illus.
- Weight660 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byAustin Dobson
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.