All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $22.14
About this product
- DescriptionThis unique dictionary presents popular slang names for North American cities. These expressions are used instead of official names to convey additional information. They are semantically rich and culturally meaningful, telegraphically describing the characteristics of the cities to which they refer, explaining the motivations of their coiners, and revealing the attitudes of their users. The dictionary lists 500 entries, each containing a headword, usage label, standard equivalent, and numerous contextual examples which authenticate their usage. The material comes from a large database of quotations from media, film, literature, and oral sources. A reliable and practical reference, the dictionary will be useful for linguists, educators, students and anyone interested in the subject.
- Author BiographyProfessor Maciej Widawski is a sociolinguist and lexicographer specializing in language variation. He is head of the Department of Sociolinguistics and Lexicography at the University of Gdansk. He has studied slang since the early 1990's, doing extensive fieldwork and conducting research at such academic centers as Columbia University and the University of Tennessee and has authored several books including a Polish-English dictionary of slang and colloquialisms. Dr. Malgorzata Kowalczyk is a sociolinguist and freelance lexicographer. Her interests also include language acquisition and learners' dictionaries. She has conducted research at such academic centers as New York University and the University of Miami and has developed numerous lexical databases and co-authored a dictionary of student slang in Poland.
- Author(s)Maciej Widawski,Malgorzata Kowalczyk
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/11/2011
- Series TitleWarsaw Studies in English Language and Literature
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight270 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.