All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn invative account of how the concept of the 'Third World' emerged in France from the mid-1950s through to the mid-1970s alongside a new leftist movement. The book reveals how, in an age of Cold War, decolonization and development thinking, French activists rose to prominence within the political Left, established transnational contacts, and developed a new global consciousness. Using the 'Third World' concept to reinvigorate anticolonial solidarity, they supported the Algerian FLN, the Cuban Revolution, and the liberation movements in Vietnam and Portuguese Africa. Insisting on the postcolonial character of France after the end of empire, they promoted new forms of cooperation with developing countries and immigrant workers. Examining the work of French leftists in publications such as Partisans, parties such as the PSU, and associations like the CEDETIM, Kalter sheds new light on a crucial moment in France's history, the global contexts that prompted it, and its worldwide ramifications.
- Author BiographyChristoph Kalter is a historian of Western Europe in its global connections. Currently Assistant Professor of Global History at Freie Universitat Berlin, he was awarded a PhD in Modern History from that same university (2010). His dissertation on Third World solidarity and the radical Left in France has received the Walter-Markov-Prize granted by the European Network in Universal and Global History (ENIUGH). He has since held a fellowship at the University of Berkeley, California, and published on French and Portuguese decolonization in journals such as Geschichte und Gesellschaft and WerkstattGeschichte. He is currently working on his second book, which analyzes postcolonial migrations to Portugal.
- Author(s)Christoph Kalter
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2016
- LanguageEnglish & German
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note9 b/w illus.
- Weight950 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.