All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA journey through 20,000 years of history and myth in search of the answer to a single question: Do animals have souls? Anyone who has ever mourned the loss of a cherished pet has wondered about the animal soul. Do animals survive the death of the body, or are they doomed to disappear completely when they leave this world behind? Both scientists and religious authorities have long scoffed at the idea of animals in heaven. Yet the question endures. In this wise, immensely readable book, Ptolemy Tompkins embarks on a quest for the answer taking us on a top-speed tour of the history of the animal soul. Equally at home with mainstream and alternative spiritual philosophies, Tompkins takes us from the savannas of Africa to the earth s first cities to the early days of the great faith traditions of both East and West. Along the way, he shows that, despite what many of us have been taught, the world s various spiritual traditions all have profoundly meaningful things to say about the animal soul, if we simply kw where to look. Rescuing these ancient insights and blending them with vivid stories about animals today from a dwarf rabbit named Angus to a manatee named Moose to a black bear named Little Bit The Divine Life of Animals paints a gloriously inclusive picture of the cosmos as a place made up of both matter and spirit, in which animals are every bit as important, spiritually speaking, as the humans with whom they share the world. Though it is startlingly original, The Divine Life of Animals also feels strangely and instantly familiar, for it reveals truths that many of us have held in our hearts already, waiting only for someone to give fresh voice to one of the oldest and most trustworthy intuitions we possess. The Divine Life of Animals offers a compelling and timeless vision of the relationship between humans and animals that will have you looking at the animals in your life with new eyes. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyPTOLEMY TOMPKINS is the author of four critically praised books, including Paradise Fever: Growing Up in the Shadow of the New Age and The Beaten Path: Field Notes on Getting Wise in a Wisdom-Crazy World. His writings have appeared in three editions of The Best Spiritual Writing, as well as in Harper's and the New York Times Magazine. He currently writes a monthly column, The Winged Life, for Beliefnet.com and is a regular contributor to Guideposts and Angels on Earth. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Ptolemy Tompkins
- PublisherThree Rivers Press (CA)
- Date of Publication07/06/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMind, Body & Spirit: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThree Rivers Press (CA)
- Weight191 g
- Width133 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.