The Dolphin Way: A Parent's Guide to Raising Healthy, Happy, and Motivated Kids--Without Turning Into a Tiger by Shimi K Kang (Hardback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $50.05Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $35.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this inspiring book, Harvard-trained child and adult psychiatrist and expert in human motivation Dr. Shimi Kang provides a guide to the art and science of inspiring children to develop their own internal drive and a lifelong love of learning. Drawing on the latest neuroscience and behavioral research, Dr. Kang shows why pushy tiger parents and permissive jellyfish parents actually hinder self-motivation. She proposes a powerful new parenting model: the intelligent, joyful, playful, highly social dolphin. Dolphin parents focus on maintaining balance in their children s lives to gently yet authoritatively guide them toward lasting health, happiness, and success. As the medical director for Child and Youth Mental Health community programs in Vancouver, British Columbia, Dr. Kang has witnessed firsthand the consequences of parental pressure: anxiety disorders, high stress levels, suicides, and addictions. As the mother of three children and as the daughter of immigrant parents who struggled to give their children the best in life Dr. Kang s mother could t read and her father taught her math while they drove around in his taxicab Dr. Kang argues that often the simplest benefits we give our children are the most valuable. By trusting our deepest intuitions about what is best for our kids, we will in turn allow them to develop key dolphin traits to enable them to thrive in an increasingly complex world: adaptability, community-mindedness, creativity, and critical thinking. Life is a journey through ever-changing waters, and dolphin parents kw that the most valuable help we can give our children is to assist them in developing their own inner compass. Combining irrefutable science with unforgettable real-life stories, The Dolphin Way walks readers through Dr. Kang s four-part method for cultivating self-motivation. The book makes a powerful case that we are t forced to choose between being permissive or controlling. The third option the option that will prepare our kids for success in a future that will require adaptability is the dolphin way.
- Author BiographyShimi Kang, M.D., is the medical director for Child and Youth Mental Health for Vancouver and a clinical associate professor at the University of British Columbia. Dr. Kang has helped hundred of children, adolescents, and parents move toward positive behaviors and better mental health.
- Author(s)Shimi K Kang
- Date of Publication01/05/2014
- SubjectPregnancy & Parenting
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Out-of-print date07/07/2016
- Content Notefigures
- Weight544 g
- Width163 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.54Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.63
- AU $21.61Trending at AU $23.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.