All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn early February 1949 American Jewry s most popular and powerful leader, Abba Hillel Silver (1893 1963), had summarily resigned from all his official positions within the Zionist movement and had left New York for Cleveland, returning to his post as a Reform rabbi. In the immediate years prior to his resignation, during the second half of the 1940s, Silver was the most outspoken proponent of the founding of a sovereign Jewish state. He was the most instrumental American Jewish leader in the political struggle that led to the foundation of the State of Israel. Paradoxically, this historic victory also heralded Silver s personal defeat. Soon after Israel s declaration of independence, he and many of his American Zionist colleagues were relegated to the sidelines of the Zionist movement. Almost overnight the most influential leader one who was admired and feared by both supporters and opponents was stripped of his power within both the Zionist and the American Jewish arenas. Shiff s book discerns the various aspects of the striking turnabout in Silver's political fate, describing both the personal tragic story of a leader who was defeated by his own victory, and the much broader intra-Zionist battle which erupted in full force immediately after the founding of Israel. Drawing extensively on Silver s personal archival material, Shiff presents an enlightening portrait of a critical episode in Jewish history. This book is most relevant for anyone who attempts to understand the complex homeland- diaspora relations between Israel and American Jewry.
- Author BiographyOfer Shiff is a Professor of Jewish History at Ben-Gurion University, where he served as Director of the Ben-Gurion Research Institute for the Studies of Israel and Zionism from 2001 to 2004.
- Author(s)Ofer Shiff
- PublisherSyracuse University Press
- Date of Publication30/05/2014
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSyracuse University Press
- Weight567 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.