All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCarnival takes on social and political importance in this recognized classic. The people of the shantytown Calvary Hill, usually invisible to the rest of society, join the throng and flaunt their neighborhood personas in masquerade during Carnival. Aldrick, the dashing king of the Hill, becomes a glorious, dancing dragon; his lovely Sylvia, a princess; Fisheye, rebel idealist, a fierce steel band contestant; and Philo, Calypso songwriter, a star. Then a business sponsors Fisheye's band, Philo gets a hit song, and Sylvia leaves the Hill with a prosperous older man. For Aldrick, it will take one more masquerade-this time, involving guns and hostages-before the illusion of power becomes reality.
- Author BiographyA statesman of Caribbean letters, Earl Lovelace is the author of five novels and many plays and essays. He lives in his native Trinidad and is presently on the faculty of Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Washington.
- Author(s)Earl Lovelace
- PublisherPersea Books Inc
- Date of Publication08/08/2003
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPersea Books Inc
- Weight180 g
- Width114 mm
- Height185 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $23.66Trending at AU $30.15
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.51Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.