All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Nawal El Saadawi's play God Resigns , the prophets and great women gather for a meeting with God. Satan arrives to tender his resignation, but neither Jesus, Mohammad, r Moses is willing to replace him. Finally, God himself resigns in disgust. Eygptian officials declared the work heretical because 'God cant resign' and ordered her publisher to destroy all copies. El Saadawi was charged with insulting Islam and was threatened with arrest on return to Egypt. Isis is a critique of the discriminatory rules that control women - the daughters of Isis - in North Africa and the Middle East today. Both plays develop key themes of El Saadawi's work: that religions are inimical to women and the poor; that the oppression of women is reprehensible and t solely characteristic of the Middle East or the Third World; and that free speech is fundamental to any society. This work includes introduction by Adele Newson-Horst, along with introductions to both plays.
- Author BiographyNawal El Saadawi is Distinguished Visiting Professor at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Her novels include Memoirs of a Woman Doctor, Love in the Kingdom of Oil, Two Women in One and The Fall of the Imam (all Saqi).
- Author(s)Nawal El-Saadawi
- PublisherSaqi Books
- Date of Publication17/02/2009
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSaqi Books
- Weight249 g
- Width135 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.