The Dream of Arcady: Place and Time in Southern Literature by Lucinda Hardwick Mackethan (Paperback / softback, 1980)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $34.11Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- Est. delivery by 13 Mar
- AU $53.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a well-organized, gracefully written account of a significant aspect of Southern fiction, and it contains information and incisive commentary that one can find where else. --Thomas Daniel YoungMany southern writers imagined the South as a qualified dream of Arcady. They retained the glow of the golden land as a device to expose or rebuke, to confront or escape the complexities of the actual times in which they lived.The Dream of Arcady examines the work of post-Civil War southern writers who criticize the myth of the South as pastoral paradise. Sooner or later in all their idealized worlds, the idyllic vision fades in an inescapable moment of awakening. This moment, which is central to MacKethan's study, produces an atmosphere pastoral in mood and implications.Her perspective analysis juxtaposes the responses of Sidney Lanier, Joel Chandler Harris, and Thomas Nelson Page, who contributed to yet hope to transcend sectionalism, with the ambivalent views of black writers Charles Chesnutt and Jean Toomer. Considering the writings of the Agrarians, William Faulkner, and Eudora Welty, MacKethan then concludes her study by questioning whether the Arcadian dream still serves the artist of our era as a frame for artistic and ideological purposes.
- Author BiographyLucinda H. Mackethan received her Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and is a professor of English at North Carolina State University.
- Author(s)Lucinda Hardwick Mackethan
- PublisherLouisiana State University Press
- Date of Publication19/12/1980
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLouisiana State University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight308 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.