All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Dream of the Rood is a poem that has entranced generations of scholars. It is one of the greatest religious poems in English literature, the work of a nameless poet of superb genius. This edition presents a conservative text with variant reading described in the tes. In his introduction Professor Swanton describes the Vercelli Book, in which the full text of The Dream of the Rood is found, and gives an account of the Ruthwell Cross, the sources for which are scattered and t rmally familiar to students of Old English. The relationship between the two texts, the doctrine behind the poem and its style and structure are also discussed. The edition includes extensive tes and glossary.
- Author BiographyMichael Swanton is Professor of Medieval Studies at the University of Exeter.
- PublisherLiverpool University Press
- Date of Publication01/04/1996
- LanguageEnglish, Old (ca. 450-1100) & English
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleExeter Mediaeval Texts & Studies
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintUniversity of Exeter Press
- Content Note3 b&w illustrations, bibliography, notes, glossary
- Weight180 g
- Width122 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byMichael Swanton
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.