All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Dreyfus Affair comprises attempted assassinations, suicides, perjury, forgeries, invective, stunning reversals and abortive coups d'etat , involving the hour and destiny of an individual and of France. It is also a mystery tale that reveals the preoccupations and divisions of France and Europe at the turn of the 19th century. At its centre is the unjust imprisonment upon Devil's Island of Captain Alfred Dreyfus, a Jew convicted of a crime he did t commit, who was in part the victim of an ancient prejudice. As the gravest crisis of the Third Republic, the Dreyfus Affair transformed French politics as a crucial episode in the history of racial nationalism. It marked the transition from traditional to racial anti-semitism and, as an explosive struggle for human rights and judicial equity, it engaged academics, writers and artists as self-conscious intellectuals in French politics. This work explores how the trial of one man became l'affaire , with all its consequences.
- Author BiographyMARTIN P. JOHNSON is an Adjunct Professor of History at Northern Illinois University.
- Author(s)Martin P. Johnson
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication26/05/1999
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleEuropean History in Perspective
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notechronology, index
- Weight236 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.