All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA gripping suspense story about a woman who returns to Galveston, Texas after a personal tragedy and is irresistibly drawn into the insular world she's struggled to leave.
Photographer Clare Porterfield's once-happy marriage is coming apart, unraveling under the strain of a family tragedy. When she receives an invitation to direct an exhibition in her hometown of Galveston, Texas, she jumps at the chance to escape her grief and reconnect with the island she hasn't seen for ten years. There Clare will have the time and space to search for answers about her troubled past and her family's complicated relationship with the wealthy and influential Carraday family.
Soon she finds herself drawn into a century-old mystery involving Stella Carraday. Local legend has it that Stella drowned in her family's house during the Great Hurricane of 1900, hanged by her long hair from the drawing room chandelier. Could Stella have been saved? What is the true nature of Clare's family's involvement? The questions grow like the wildflower vines that climb up the walls and fences of the island. And the closer Clare gets to the answers, the darker and more disturbing the truth becomes.
Steeped in the rich local history of Galveston, The Drowning House portrays two families, inextricably linked by tragedy and time.
The Drowning House marks the emergence of an impressive new literary voice. Elizabeth Black's suspenseful inquiry into dark family secrets is enriched by a remarkable succession of images, often minutely observed, that bring characters, setting, and story sharply into focus. --John Berendt, author of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
- Author BiographyElizabeth Black was born and raised in Providence, Rhode Island and now lives in Houston, Texas. The Drowning House is her first novel.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Black
- PublisherCenter Point
- Date of Publication01/04/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCenter Point
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight576 g
- Width149 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine35 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
- Edition Statementlarge type edition
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $30.89New
- AU $71.58New
- AU $78.99New
- AU $49.08New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.49Trending at AU $30.89
- AU $12.20Trending at AU $16.32
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $82.83
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $20.80
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.62
- AU $22.30Trending at AU $22.82
- AU $20.95Trending at AU $23.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.