All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCanadian Children's Book Centre Our Choice, 2009BolognaRagazzi Award Mention book, 2010What the Bologna jury said: The joyful yet complex style of Jim Poitras is the vehicle for an enjoyable lesson in cultural anthropology. The clear contours of the foreground figures dialogue effortlessly with the landscapes in the background whose colourful, complex and material quality is rendered almost tangible. This vel illustration technique is particularly suited as a book for children since it highlights to great effect how man's customs, lifestyles and traditions take on significance only when seen against the backdrop of the skies, hills, rivers and natural world that gave rise to them. Translation and music by Northern Cree Have you danced the round dance yet? Of course you have-you're in my dream. You've danced in circles next to me You w kw things aren't as they seem.Beloved children's author David Bouchard has teamed up with emerging writer Shelly Willier to create a heart-warming tale in his newest book, Entre dans la Grande Ronde. Discover the beauty of the traditional Round Dance through the lush descriptive verse of Bouchard and Willier that leads you through the cycles and seasons of life, the forming of new friendships and the understanding of values.Illustrations by internationally acclaimed painter Jim Poitras colourfully grace the pages, bringing the words alive through the intricate movements of the Round Dancers.And Northern Cree teams up once again with David Bouchard, providing the translation from English to Cree and the haunting drum music on a bound-in book CD.Also available as The Drum Calls Softly, which is in English and in Cree, and accompanied by a CD.British Columbia's best-selling author and most sought after public speaker, David Bouchard, has presented to hundreds of thousands of educators, parents and students. This former teacher and principal of 28 years is a champion of literacy around the world.
- Author BiographyBritish Columbia's best-selling author and most sought after public speaker, David Bouchard, has presented to hundreds of thousands of educators, parents and students. This former teacher and principal of 28 years is a champion of literacy around the world. David Bouchard's books have won several prestigious awards, among them: the Canadian Aboriginal Book of the Year in 2007 for Nokum Is My Teacher as well as being short listed for the 2007 Alberta Children's Book of the Year.Jim Poitras was born in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, and is of Cree, Salteaux, and Metis descent. Jim's awareness of his heritage grew slowly over the years. He is self-taught in several art media, and is inspired by First Nations music and particularly the drum beat of Mother Earth speaking to her people.
- Author(s)David Bouchard,Shelley Willier
- PublisherRed Deer Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2008
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRed Deer Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width236 mm
- Height274 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Jim Poitras
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.