All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe study of the structure and dynamics of Earth's deep interior represents one of the most active frontiers of Earth sciences. This book provides a definitive summary of current research in this field, which is revealing many surprises. In a thorough, immensely informed, yet easy-to-understand presentation, Shun-ichiro Karato deftly integrates the atomic-level description of Earth materials that mineral physics addresses with global-scale modeling and observations on mantle and core dynamics that are the purview of seismology and geodynamics. He depicts an Earth whose interior is as active as its surface, and whose processes in the deep interior often control surface dynamics. The richly varied dynamic processes in Earth's deep interior can be understood only through a better understanding of the properties of materials under the conditions prevalent there, Karato emphasizes. Materials properties change dramatically in the deep interior, and this has decisive consequences on mantle convection, which is the engine of plate tectonics. The importance of the hydrogen in water in determining the structure of the lithosphere-asthesphere boundary is discussed, as is the role of phase transformation in controlling the density and plastic flow properties of Earth's materials. Models for enigmatic observations such as deep earthquakes and the anisotropic structures at the center of the Earth are covered in detail. The Dynamic Structure of the Deep Earth is an indispensable text for advanced-level undergraduate students and graduate students of Earth sciences, materials sciences, and physics.
- Author BiographyShun-ichiro Karato is Professor of Geology and Geophysics at Yale University. Author or coauthor of more than 120 articles and editor of three books, he received the Japan Academy Prize in 1999 and is a fellow of the American Geophysical Union.
- Author(s)Shun-Ichiro Karato
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication06/05/2003
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note74 line illus. 10 halftones.
- Weight514 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.51
- AU $21.38Trending at AU $22.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.