All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Early Years: Trail of Discovery (Third Edition) We all come into this world alone, and go out the same. Between coming and going, is life. The Early Years is a story about life and how a yearlong adventure defines the future for a young man named Dutch Clarke. Manipulated by the terms of his dead Grandfather's will, Dutch undertakes a one-year ordeal in the rugged wilderness of British Columbia in 1941. This is a classic story of one man's personal struggle to come of age against all odds. Dutch begins his trek accompanied by his horse Blaze, two mules and a half wild dog, Gus. As they pack into the remote Nascall Valley, he digs deep, learning courage, self-reliance and how to survive. On this unforgiving trail, Dutch faces many obstacles, some life threatening, some inspiring and all a challenge to his character and spirit. This poignant story is written in a powerful narrative style that draws the reader ever deeper, propelling them from one adventure to the next. The Early Years is the story of redemption, love, birth, and death. A heart-felt story that relates the events that shape its characters' lives in an edge-of-your-seat survival saga. Reviews The story is lyrical and lush with its rich descriptions...the story-telling has a rhythm to it, soft and persuasive, humbling and invigorating...the story makes you want to read more. Amazon Editorial Review Despite brutal weather, gnashing wolves and deadly bears, Dutch battles nature and his own growing loneliness. Publishers Weekly Awards Foreword Magazine: Book of the Year Finalist Amazon Breakthrough Novel Awards: Quarter Finalist If you enjoyed Jack London's classic 'Call of the Wild, ' you'll love 'The Early Years.'
- Author BiographyBrian D. Ratty, a retired media executive and graduate of Brooks Institute of Photography, also holds an honorary Master of Science degree. He and his wife, Tess, live on the north Oregon Coast, where he writes and photographs that rugged and majestic region. Over the past thirty years, he has traveled the vast wilderness of the Pacific Coast in search of images and stories that reflect the spirit and splendor of those spectacular lands. Brian is an award-winning historical fiction novelist, and has written numerous magazine articles about the Pacific Northwest. Why I write I write what I like to read, historical fiction rich with bold characters and powerful storylines. I shy away from gratuitous violence and descriptive sex; instead my stories portray adventure with vivid descriptions and believable plots. My goal is to whisk the reader away to another frame of mind... the results being a suspenseful and brisk read. Readers Wanted!
- Author(s)Brian D Ratty
- PublisherSunset Lake Publishing
- Date of Publication23/07/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSunset Lake Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight449 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $94.28
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $77.19
- AU $21.90Trending at AU $24.84
- AU $14.54Trending at AU $15.56
- AU $10.42Trending at AU $18.63
- AU $14.25Trending at AU $17.10
- AU $21.09Trending at AU $24.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.