All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe issue of maintaining a diverse gene pool in the form of crop varieties is very topical world wide. This is caused by the potential benefit of crop genetic resources for addressing future demand emanating from unforeseen agricultural problems. This volume is mainly concerned with on-farm conservation as a supplement to the other in situ and ex situ conservation options. The study aims at generating relevant information for maintaining local varieties on farmers fields in Ethiopia. In order to effectively devise policies for on-farm conservation, the volume argues that an improved understanding of farmers incentives, attribute preferences and opportunity costs is indispensable. These issues are extensively addressed (both theoretically and empirically) with a focus on policy that is expressed by the guiding question Given the socioecomic set-up, what policy options are available to undertake on-farm conservation of crop diversity in Ethiopia? The study results are intended to help identify optimal policies for on-farm conservation taking sorghum, coffee, and wheat as empirical examples.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Edilegnaw Wale Zegeye studied Agricultural Economics (B.Sc.) and Agricultural Development Economics (M.Sc.) at Alemaya University (Ethiopia) and Wageningen Agricultural University (The Netherlands), respectively. Since 2000, he has been a doctoral student at the Center for Development Research (ZEF), Department of Economics and Technological Change at the University of Bonn. The author obtained his Ph.D. in 2003. His research interest is the application of micro-economic theory and econometrics for agricultural development problems.
- Author(s)Edilegnaw Wale Zegeye
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/01/2005
- SubjectAgriculture & Farming
- Series TitleDevelopment Economics & Policy
- Series Part/Volume Number45
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note39 tables, 9 fig.
- Weight360 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byF. J. Heidhues,Joachim Von Braun
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.