All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDeyan Sudjic's The Edifice Complex: The Architecture of Power is a fascinating exploration of the language of architecture as an insight into the psychology of power, from tyrants to billionaires. Why do presidents and prime ministers, tycoons and tyrants share such a fascination with grand designs? Is it to impress or terrify, to wield state power, make a bid for immortality or just satisfy their egos? From Hitler's vast Chancellery to Saddam Hussein's Mother of all Battles mosque, from Olympic stadiums to Donald Trump's excesses, Deyan Sudjic examines the murky relationship between buildings, money and politics, revealing the power of architecture - and the architecture of power. 'A thrilling and passionately indignant trawl through vanity's most polluted depths' The Times 'An often frightening, sometimes hilarious set of stories of brutality, absurdity and occasionally beauty' Evening Standar 'Punchily written ...deftly amusing ...a closely argued, brilliantly marshalled, important book' Daily Mail 'Informed, lively and intelligent ...an asylum of power-mad politicians and Croesus-rich patrons' New Statesman 'By turns funny, acidic, penetrating and provocative ...as compelling a read as a popular vel' Norman Foster Director of the Design Museum, Deyan Sudjic was born in London of Yugoslav parents. He is a former architecture critic for the Observer, and a visiting professor at the Royal College of Art. Sudjic was Director of the Venice Architecture Biennale in 2002 and is author of The Edifice Complex, the much-praised 100-Miles City, the best-selling Architecture Pack, The Language of Things and mographs on John Pawson, Ron Arad and Richard Rogers.
- Author BiographyDeyan Sudjic is Director of the Design Museum. He was born in London, and studied architecture in Edinburgh. He has worked as a critic for the Observer and The Sunday Times, as the editor of Domus in Milan, as the director of the Venice Architecture Biennale, and as a curator in Glasgow, Istanbul and Copenhagen. He is the author of B is for Bauhaus, The Language of Things and The Edifice Complex.
- Author(s)Deyan Sudjic
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication07/04/2011
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Weight326 g
- Width111 mm
- Height181 mm
- Spine32 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.