All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionWith 19 stimulating new essays, this book looks at the Anglo Arab vel from 1911 to the present day. The vel is a largely imported European genre, coming relatively late to the history of Arab letters. It should therefore perhaps come as surprise that the first vel to have been written by an Arab was written in English (Ameen Rihani's The Book of Khalid, 1911). However, subsequent years saw the flourishing of, first, Arabic vels, then the Francophone Arab vel. Only in the last two decades has the Anglophone Arab vel experienced a second coming, and it is this re emergence of literary activity that is the focus of this collection. Opening up the field of diasporic Anglo Arab literature to critical debate, the Companion presents a range of critical responses and pedagogical approaches to the Anglo Arab vel. It offers both classroom friendly essays and critically sophisticated analyses, bringing together original critical studies of the major Anglo Arab velists from established and emerging scholars in the field. It guides students through the vels they are required to read on Anglo Arab literature courses. It includes chapters on Ameen Rihani, Ahdaf Soueif, Waguih Ghali, Etel Adnan, Diana Abu Jaber, Jamal Mahjoub, Rawi Hage, Loubna Haikal, Jad El Hage, Mohja Kahf, Samia Serageldin, Rabih Alameddine, Mona Simpson, Leila Aboulela, Laila Lalami, Hisham Matar and Fadia Faqir. It presents essays on pedagogy and the literary marketplace.
- Author BiographyNouri Gana is Associate Professor of Comparative Literature & Near Eastern Languages and Cultures at UCLA.
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication31/05/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Weight975 g
- Width172 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byNouri Gana
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.