All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the second which records the 330 year history of The Edinburgh Merchant Company. The first, by Alexander Heron, covers the period 1681-1901 and ends where this new book picks up with the sudden death of Master John Macmillan whilst chairing a Members' Dinner in the Merchants' Hall. It charts the Company's endeavour and achievements through the difficult period of two world wars and a time of change for both the Company and its schools. It records stories of Royal patronage, of both success and failures and of the Company's determination to grow and prosper and to leave a rich heritage for future generations. Above all it is a story of 113 years of a Company which has had a huge influence on the civic, cultural and ceremonial life of the city of Edinburgh and the surrounding area.
- Author BiographyDr Rosalind K. Marshall graduated in Scottish History from Edinburgh University. Her PhD thesis, based on the Duke of Hamilton's Archives, became her first book, and she has since written 16 others, along with over 150 historical articles. These include biographies of Mary, Queen of Scots and John Knox, and a history of St Giles' Cathedral. For a number of years she combined her writing career with her position as Historian at the Scottish National Portrait Gallery. A Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, the Royal Society of Arts and the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, she is Chairman of the Scottish Record Society and the Virtual Hamilton Palace Trust, Honorary Historian of the Incorporation of Bonnetmakers and Dyers of Edinburgh and a Burgess of Edinburgh.
- Author(s)Rosalind K. Marshall
- PublisherJohn Donald Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication15/10/2015
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJohn Donald Publishers Ltd
- Content Note181 colour throughout
- Width240 mm
- Height280 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.49
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.88
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.78
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.