All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Egoist George Meredith (1828 - 1909) The Egoist is a tragicomical vel by George Meredith published in 1879. The vel recounts the story of self-absorbed Sir Willoughby Patterne and his attempts at marriage; jilted by his first bride-to-be, he vacillates between the sentimental Laetitia Dale and the strong-willed Clara Middleton. More importantly, the vel follows Clara's attempts to escape from her engagement to Sir Willoughby, who desires women to serve as a mirror for him and consequently cant understand why she would t want to marry him. Thus, The Egoist dramatizes the difficulty contingent upon being a woman in Victorian society, when women's bodies and minds are trafficked between fathers and husbands to cement male bonds.
- Author BiographyGeorge Meredith (1828 - 1909) George Meredith, OM (12 February 1828 - 18 May 1909) was an English novelist and poet of the Victorian era.
- Author(s)George Meredith
- Date of Publication18/09/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.39
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $107.81
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $20.32
- AU $28.09Trending at AU $28.43
- AU $22.61Trending at AU $22.86
- AU $16.48Trending at AU $17.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.