All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
About this product
- DescriptionMore than ever in this completely updated edition, The Elements of Expression helps word users light up the cosmos or the written page or the face across the table as they seek the radiance of expressiveness--the vivid expression of thoughts, feelings, and observations. Nothing kills radiance like the murky, generic language dominating today's talk, airwaves, and posts. It tugs at our every sentence, but using it to express anything beyond the ordinary is like flapping the tongue to escape gravity. The Elements of Expression offers an adventurous and inspiring flight into words that truly share what's percolating in our minds. Here writers, presenters, students, bloggers--even well intentioned Mad Men --will discover language to convey precise feelings, move audiences, delight and persuade. No sb or scold, the acclaimed word-maven Arthur Plotnik explores the full range of expressiveness, from playful tough talk to finely wrought literature, with hundreds of rousing examples. Confessing that we are all like a squid in its ink when first groping for lumius expression, he shines his amiable wit on the elements leading, ultimately, to language of fissionable intensity.
- Author BiographyArthur Plotnik is a versatile author with a distinguished background in editing and publishing. Among his seven previous books (not to mention 22 pseudonymous potboilers early in his career) are The Elements of Editing and The Elements of Expression, both Book-of-the-Month Club selections, and the best-selling Spunk & Bite: A Writer's Guide to Bold, Contemporary Style. His articles, op-eds, and literary pieces have been published widely, including his columns in The Writer magazine, on whose editorial board he serves. Plotnik studied under Philip Roth in the Iowa Writers Workshop, was a reporter for the Albany (N.Y.) Times-Union, and after earning a second graduate degree, worked as a Library of Congress staffer in Washington and magazine editor in New York. He received numerous honors and awards as a long-time editor and publisher with the American Library Association in Chicago. He lives in that city with his wife and an avalanchine tumble of jottings for Better than Great.
- Author(s)Arthur Plotnik
- PublisherViva Editions
- Date of Publication28/06/2012
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationBerkeley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintViva Editions
- Weight285 g
- Width127 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Foreword byJessica Morell
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.