All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume addresses the topic of embodiment in psychoanalysis from both theoretical and clinical points of view. Freud's development of a psychoanalytic theory and treatment originated from his consideration of neurology, aphasia, and the great range of embodied signs constituting the hysterical neuroses. Symptoms and signs, Freud ted in 1895, join in the conversation by taking bodily form. The body and the mind form a nexus, which is the proper area of study for psychoanalysis. Because this is a vast field of inquiry, a pluralistic perspective is taken by this collection of papers, ranging from philosophic and semiotic understandings of the body, to Freudian, Lacanian, feminist, and object relations hypotheses. Clinical phsmena such as self-mutilation, fantasy about the body and its representations and meanings, enactment, sexuality, and psychotic fragmentation are addressed in an attempt to extend our understanding of the psychoanalytic traditions that have evolved in relation to Freud's discoveries. This volume includes representative work from established psychoanalysts (Kalinich, Modell), psychoanalysts with sophisticated philosophical grounding (Frie, Simpson), and clinicians working with severely disturbed patients (Elmendorf, Plakun, Tillman, Fromm).
- Author BiographyJohn P. Muller, PhD is director of training at the Austen Riggs Center. He is the author/editor of numerous articles on Lacan, semiotics, and psychoanalysis. Jane G. Tillman, PhD is a clinical team leader and psychotherapy supervisor at the Austen Riggs Center. She has published and presented papers on the treatment of psychotic disorders, the effects of suicide on clinicians, and religion and psychoanalysis.
- PublisherJason Aronson Inc. Publishers
- Date of Publication20/05/2007
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Series TitlePsychological Issues
- Series Part/Volume Number68
- Place of PublicationNorthvale NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJason Aronson Inc. Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width161 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byJane G. Tillman,John P. Muller
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.