All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe reconciliation of basic Islamic principles with modernity has been a major challenge for Muslims over the last two centuries. This study uncovers the responses of Indian Muslims who were drawn to socialist ideas between the Bolshevik Revolution and Partition. From the Pan-Islamist muhajirin, who migrated to Soviet Central Asia during the Khilafat agitation of 1919-24, to the upper-class literary radicals of the Progressive Writers Movement of the 1930s and 1940s, socialism provided Muslim radicals with an intellectual toolkit for analysing their own society and constructing strategies for emancipation from Western oppression. In fact, the principles of liberty, equality, and fraternity that existed within Islamic ideology encouraged Muslim socialists to embrace a secular mode of thinking. Recognizing these familiar strands in socialist theory legitimatized their fascination with socialism. This book sheds light on the fact that religious and political separatism were t the only paths adopted by the Muslims of rth India to move forward under colonial rule.
- Author BiographyKhizar Humayun Ansari is Professor of Islam and Cultural Diversity and Director for the Centre for Minority Studies, Department of History at Royal Holloway, University of London. He has written extensively on the subject of Muslims in Western society, South Asia, ethnic diversity, identity, and cross-cultural issues. Professor Ansari has provided briefings to senior policy-makers and has made major contributions to local, national, and international print and broadcast media. He was awarded an OBE in 2002 for his services to higher education and race relations in the community.
- Author(s)Dr. Khizar Humayun Ansari
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight816 g
- Width149 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine35 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.