All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThese essays examine several aspects of the nature of the emerging strategic environment and how this situation affects thinking about U.S. strategy in the 21st century. The United States and its Allies currently confront a number of major trouble spots around the world. In addition, the stability and defense policies of U.S. Allies represent an increasingly important factor in the making of U.S. foreign policy. How well the American military is adjusting to the post-Cold War world with the threats of declining defense budgets and rapid changes in techlogy, will be a determining factor in the course of the coming decade. Here, the discussion of an impending joint military culture and service cultures out of touch with the harsh realities of the emerging strategic environment combine in a dramatic prediction of 21st century foreign strategies. The Balkans, the Middle East, and Russia all present considerable defense planning difficulties with obvious solutions. The Balkans represent the clearest immediate danger, as the weight of history and current political ambitions threaten to destabilize Europe's southeastern flank. In the mid-term range are Middle Eastern concerns such as water shortages, border disputes, and new rivalries, all of which unbalance an area whose oil reserves fuel the world ecomy. Finally, the Russian military collapse suggests that the future Russian threat may result more from national weakness than from strength.
- Author BiographyWILLIAMSON MURRAY is Professor Emeritus from The Ohio State University and is presently the Harold Johnson Professor of Military History at the Army War College. He has been a visiting professor at the London School of Economics, the Naval War College, and the United States Military Academy. His books include The Change in the European Balance of Power, 1938-1939, Luftwaffe, The War in the Persian Gulf, and IGerman Military Effectiveness.
- Author(s)Williamson Murray
- Date of Publication30/10/1999
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight695 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.