All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNo one likes to be taken in, but stories of deception concerning others are compelling. It can be startling to learn of the credulousness of those who fall for schemes or untruths spun out by liars, cheats, fraudsters, fakers, even unfaithful lovers ...But deceit should t always be condemned: think of items counterfeited in jest, or satires that expose pretentiousness, or the necessity for forged identity papers in occupied Europe under the Nazis, or ingenious tricks by the Allies to wrongfoot German forces. To collect these stories of deceit Roelf Bolt has ranged widely, from ancient times to the present day, documenting a huge assortment of legerdemain: infamous quacks, fraudulent scientists, crooks who committed 'pseudocide' by faking their own deaths, forgers of paintings and drawings, decorative arts, archaeological finds and documents of every sort. From counterfeit medicines and banktes to bogus perpetual wonder-working machines and sports memorabilia, Bolt reveals that almost everything has been forged or faked by someone at some point in history. He offers biographies and general observations on specific categories of deceit, and the book includes a number of well-kwn figures - Einstein, Ernest Hemingway and President Francois Mitterand among them - as well as the many individuals who would have remained anymous had their duplicity t come to light. All take their rightful place in the bizarre catalogue of comedy, crime and occasional genius that is The Encyclopaedia of Liars and Deceivers, the perfect gift for all those who enjoy a good story - and those people who like to tell them.
- Author BiographyA legal scholar and philosopher, Roelf Bolt (1970-2012) taught at university level. A lover of the weird and wonderful, his bookshelves were full of works on medical oddities and other curiosa, deluded visionaries and pseudoscientists.
- Author(s)Roelf Bolt
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication15/07/2015
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note30 black and white illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.