All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe time has come for us to stop thinking about illnesses like cancer as something the body 'gets' or 'has' but rather to think of them as something the body does. In this landmark work, leading researcher and physician Dr David Agus takes readers on a journey to decode the mystery of health and the human body. For decades we've tried to whittle down our understanding of the body to a fine point - a mutation, a germ, a deficiency or a number. But this has led us astray from a fundamental basic understanding of our bodies as systems. The End of Illness presents a system's view of the body, urging readers to begin viewing their total health as a complex network of processes that cant be explained by any single pathway or focal point. In many instances, it does us good to try and understand a certain disease; we just need to control it, much like an air traffic controller manages planes without kwing how to actually fly one. This radically different perspective on health will t only change how we care for ourselves, but also the next generation of treatments, and cures. The book also shows readers how to personalize their self-care; much of the advice is surprisingly simple and affordable - such as wearing good shoes and eating lunch at the same time every day.
- Author BiographyDavid B. Agus is a Professor of Medicine at the USC Keck School of Medicine and heads USC's Westside Cancer Center and the Center for Applied Molecular Medicine. His research focuses on the application of proteomics and genomics for the study of cancer and the development of new therapeutics for cancer. Dr. Agus received his undergraduate degree from Princeton University and his M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania. He has received various honors and awards including the American Cancer Society Physician Research Award, a Clinical Scholar Award from the Sloan-Kettering Institute, the International Myeloma Foundation Visionary Science Award, an the 2009 GQ Magazine Rockstar of Science Award. He is the founder of Oncology.com, the largest cancer internet resource/community, Applied Proteomics, and Navigenics, a health care technology and wellness company. He lives in California with his wife and children.
- Author(s)David B. Agus
- PublisherSimon & Schuster Ltd
- Date of Publication13/10/2012
- SubjectFitness & Diet
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSimon & Schuster Ltd
- Width130 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $62.46
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.