All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAnEcomistBest Book of the YearAFinancial TimesBest Book of the YearWinner of the the Pushkin House Russian Book PrizeFinalist for the Lionel Gelber PrizeAn Amazon Best Book of the Month (History)One of the world s leading scholars offers a fresh interpretation of the linked origins of World War I and the Russian Revolution Lieven has a double gift: first, for harvesting details to convey the essence of an eraand, second, for finding new, startling, and clarifying elements in familiar stories.This is history with a heartbeat, and itcould t be more engrossing. Foreign Affairs World War I and the Russian Revolution together shaped the twentieth century in profound ways. In The End of Tsarist Russia, acclaimed scholar Dominic Lieven connects for the first time the two events, providing both a history of the First World War s origins from a Russian perspective and an international history of why the revolution happened. Based on exhaustive work in seven Russian archives as well as many n-Russian sources, Dominic Lieven s work is about far more than just Russia. By placing the crisis of empire at its core, Lieven links World War I to the sweep of twentieth-century global history. He shows how contemporary hot issues such as the struggle for Ukraine were already crucial elements in the run-up to 1914. By incorporating into his book new approaches and comparisons, Lieven tells the story of war and revolution in a way that is truly original and thought-provoking.
- Author BiographyDominic Lieven is a senior research fellow at Trinity College, Cambridge, and a fellow of the British Academy. He previously taught Russian Studies at the London School of Economics for thirty-three years. His last book, Russia Against Napoleon, won the 2009 Wolfson Prize for History and the Prix Napoleon.
- Author(s)Research Professor Dominic Lieven
- Date of Publication18/08/2015
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width163 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.