All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring World War II, more than fifteen thousand German and Italian soldiers came to Missouri. This was invasionary force; rather these were prisoners of war, part of a flood of almost a half-million men captured and sent to the United States, held here until the end of the war.Life as a POW in the thirty camps scattered across Missouri was a surprisingly pleasant experience. The men ate well and were quartered under the same conditions as the Americans assigned to guard them, and the prisoners often enjoyed a great deal of freedom. The internees worked on local farms, often guarded only by a bored GI sozing under a shade tree. They organized camp theater troupes, sports leagues, and orchestras, and some prisoners studied at the camp library for classes at the POW university. For residents of the mostly small towns where these camps were located, the arrival of enemy POWs engendered a range of emotions--first fear and apprehension, then curiosity, and finally, in many cases, a feeling of fondness for the men they had come to kw and like.In The Enemy among Us, David Fiedler tells the story of entirely ordinary people who lived in extraordinary times. This fascinating tale recounts the creation of the camps and the lives touched when fate brought Missourians and the enemy face-to-face. Though they did t seek those circumstances, ne could forget how their lives changed when POWs came to Missouri.
- Author BiographyDavid Fiedler, a former captain in the U. S. Army Reserve, is now an independent writer living in Fenton, Missouri. His articles on Missouri, its people, and its history have appeared in publications including Missouri Life and Missouri Conservationist.
- Author(s)David Fiedler
- PublisherD W Fiedler LLC
- Date of Publication15/12/2010
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintD W Fiedler LLC
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight930 g
- Width168 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.