All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmong the most magnificent buildings of England are its Anglican cathedrals, great symbols of spiritual and architectural power. No one can fail to marvel at Durham's incomparable Romanesque masterpiece, the elegant stylistic unity of Salisbury, the world- amous stained glass of Canterbury or the striking Gothic scissor arch at Wells. In this breathtaking new book, award-winning Magnum photographer Peter Marlow has captured the nave of each of England's 42 Anglican cathedrals. Taken in natural light at dawn, usually looking towards the east end of the building, these remarkable images bring into sharp relief the full splendour of the architecture, whatever the style. Marlow's spellbinding photographs are accompanied by his commentary on the project, including sketches and preparatory shots; an introduction by curator Martin Barnes on the tradition of church photography in England, particularly the work of Frederick Evans and Edwin Smith; and a concise summary of each cathedral interior by architectural historian John Goodall. A special collector's edition comprising a blocked, cloth-bound hardback edition of the book and a signed, hand-finished print, 30.5 x 25.4 cm (10 x 12 in.) , placed together in a handmade, blocked, cloth-bound slip case.
- Author BiographyPeter Marlow has been a member of the international photographers' collective Magnum Photos for more than 30 years. He has exhibited his work throughout Europe. Martin Barnes is a graduate of Leicester University and the Courtauld Institute of Fine Art in London. Having worked at the Tate, Walker and Bluecoat galleries in Liverpool and the Witt Library in London, he moved to the Word & Image Department at the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, where he is now Senior Curator of Photographs. John Goodall is Architectural Editor of Country Life magazine. His book The English Castle was published in 2011.
- Author(s)Peter Marlow
- PublisherMerrell Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication04/10/2012
- FormatLeather / fine binding
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMerrell Publishers Ltd
- Content Note50 illustrations, 45 in colour, 1 map
- Weight2296 g
- Width280 mm
- Height346 mm
- Edition StatementCollector's ed
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.