All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince around 1500 C.E., humans have shaped the global environment in ways that were previously unimaginable. Bringing together leading environmental historians and world historians, this book offers an overview of global environmental history throughout this remarkable 500-year period. In eleven essays, the contributors examine the connections between environmental change and other major topics of early modern and modern world history: population growth, commercialization, imperialism, industrialization, the fossil fuel revolution, and more. Rather than attributing environmental change largely to European science, techlogy, and capitalism, the essays illuminate a series of culturally distinctive, yet often parallel developments arising in many parts of the world, leading to intensified exploitation of land and water. The wide range of regional studies - including some in Russia, China, the Middle East, India, Southeast Asia, Latin America, Southern Africa, and Western Europe - together with the book's broader thematic essays makes The Environment and World History ideal for courses that seek to incorporate the environment and environmental change more fully into a truly integrative understanding of world history. The contributors include Michael Adas, William Beinart, Edmund Burke-III, Mark Cioc, Kenneth Pomeranz, Mahesh Rangarajan, John F. Richards, Lise Sedrez, and Douglas R. Weiner.
- Author BiographyEdmund Burke III is Professor, Presidental Chair, and Director of the Center for World History at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and coeditor, with David N. Yaghoubian, of Struggle and Survival in the Modern Middle East (second editon, UC Press). Kenneth Pomeranz is Chancellor's Professor of History at the University of California, Irvine, and author of The Great Divergence, among other books.
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication23/03/2009
- SubjectNatural History: General
- Series TitleCalifornia World History Library
- Series Part/Volume Number9
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note4 line illustrations, 2 maps, 3 tables
- Weight463 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byEdmund Burke,Kenneth L. Pomeranz
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.