All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $18.54Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.00Trending at AU $39.16
About this product
- DescriptionFrom pre-European contact to the present day, people living in what is w the United States have constantly manipulated their environment. The use of natural resources - animals, plants, minerals, water, and land - has produced both prosperity and destruction, reshaping the land and human responses to it. The Environment in American History is a clear and comprehensive account that vividly shows students how the environment played a defining role in the development of American society. Organized in thirteen chrological chapters, and extensively illustrated, the book covers themes including: * Native peoples' manipulation of the environment across various regions * The role of Old World livestock and diseases in European conquests * Plantation agriculture and slavery * Westward expansion and the exploitation of natural resources * Environmental influences on the Civil War and World War II * The emergence and development of environmental activism * Industrialization, and the growth of cities and suburbs * Ecological restoration and climate change Each chapter includes a selection of primary documents, and the book is supported by a robust companion website that provides further resources for students and instructors. Drawing on current scholarship, Jeff Crane has created a vibrant and engaging survey that is a key resource for all students of American environmental history.
- Author BiographyJeff Crane is Associate Dean of the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences at the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, Texas. He is the author of Finding the River: An Environmental History of the Elwha, and co-editor of Natural Protest: Essays on the History of American Environmentalism.
- Author(s)Jeff Crane
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication22/01/2015
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note10 black & white illustrations, 20 black & white halftones
- Weight816 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.