The Epistles of Horace: Bilingual Edition by Horace, David Ferry (Paperback / softback, 2002)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $23.98Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $798.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMy aim is to take familiar things and make Poetry of them, and do it in such a way That it looks as if it was as easy as could be For anybody to do it . . . the power of making A perfectly wonderful thing out of thing much. --from The Art of Poetry When David Ferry's translation of The Odes of Horace appeared in 1997, Bernard Kx, writing in The New York Review of Books, called it a Horace for our times. Now Ferry has translated Horace's two books of Epistles, in which Horace perfected the conversational verse medium that gives his voice such dazzling immediacy, speaking in these letters with such directness, wit, and urgency to young writers, to friends, to his patron Maecenas, to Emperor Augustus himself. It is the voice of a free man, talking about how to get along in a Roman world full of temptations, opportunities, and contingencies, and how to do so with one's integrity intact. Horace's world, so unlike our own and yet so like it, comes to life in these poems. And there are also the poems -- the famous Art of Poetry and others -- about the tasks and responsibilities of the writer: truth to the demands of one's medium, fearless clear-sighted self-kwledge, and unillusioned, uncynical realism, joyfully recognizing the world for what it is.
- Author BiographyDavid Ferry, a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award in Poetry for his translation of Gilgamesh, is a poet and translator who has also won the Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize, given by the Academy of American Poets, and the Rebekah Johnson Bobbitt National Prize for Poetry, given by the Library of Congress. In 2001, he received an Award in Literature from the American Academy of Arts and Letters, and in 2002 he won the Harold Morton Landon Translation Award. Ferry is the Sophie Chantal Hart Professor of English Emeritus at Wellesley College.
- Author(s)David Ferry,Horace
- PublisherFarrar Straus Giroux
- Date of Publication30/09/2002
- FormatPaperback / softback
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar Straus Giroux
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width160 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Translated byDavid Ferry
- Introduction byDavid Ferry
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.