All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhile humanists have pondered the subject of love to the point of obsessiveness, philosophers have steadfastly igred it. The word philosophy means love of wisdom, but the absence of love from philosophical discourse is curiously glaring. In The Erotic Phemen , Jean-Luc Marion attends to this dearth with an inquiry into the concept of love itself.Marion begins with a critique of Descartes' equation of the ego's ability to doubt with the certainty that one exists. We encounter love, he says, when we first step forward as a lover: I love therefore I am, and my love is the reason I care whether I exist or t. This philosophical base allows Marion to probe several manifestations of love and its variations, including carnal excitement, self-hate, lying and perversion, fidelity, the generation of children, and the love of God. Throughout, Marion stresses that all erotic phemena stem t from the ego as popularly understood but instead from love.
- Author BiographyJean-Luc Marion is professor of philosophy at the University of Paris-Sorbonne Paris IV, and the John Nuveen Distinguished Professor in the Divinity School and professor in the Committee on Social Thought and the Department of Philosophy at the University of Chicago. He is the author of several books, including On Descartes' Metaphysical Prism, also published by the University of Chicago Press. Stephen E. Lewis is assistant professor of English at the Franciscan University of Steubenville. He is the translator of Jean-Luc Marion's Prolegomena to Charity and Jean-Louis Chretien's Hand to Hand: Listening to the Work of Art.
- Author(s)Jean-Luc Marion
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication11/04/2008
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight336 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Translated byStephen E. Lewis
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.