All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is an invative, scholarly and original study of the ethics of modern Japanese aesthetics from the 1930s, through the Second World War and into the post-war period. Nina Cornyetz embarks on new and unprecedented readings of some of the most significant literary and film texts of the Japanese can, for instance works by Kawabata Yasunari, Mishima Yukio, Abe Kobo and Shida Masahiro, all rewned for their texts' aesthetic and philosophic brilliance. Cornyetz uniquely opens up the field in a fresh and controversial way by showing how these authors and filmmakers' concepts of beauty and relation to others were, in fact, deeply impacted by political and social factors. Probing questions are asked such as: * How did Japanese fascism and imperialism ideologically, politically and aesthetically impact on these literary/cinematic giants? * How did the emperor as the 'dal point' for Japanese national identity affect their ethics? * What were the repercussions of the virtual collapse of the Marxist movement in the 1960s? * What are the similarities and differences between pre-war, wartime and post-war ideals of beauty and those of fascist aesthetics in general? This ground-breaking work is truly interdisciplinary and will appeal to students and scholars of Japanese literature, film, gender, culture, history and even psychoanalytic theory.
- Author BiographyNina Cornyetz is Associate Professor of Interdisciplinary Studies at New York University, USA.
- Author(s)Nina Cornyetz
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight360 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $21.97
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.