All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSusan Parson's new book explores a dimension of human life that has proven to be troublesome in understanding ourselves and disturbing in social relationships and structures. That dimension is gender.The Ethics of Gender investigates the impact of thinking with gender on modern ethics, and considers the insights that postmodern gender theory might bring to the ethical project. Following Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick's suggestion of the discursive incoherence of gender, the author follows the fault lines of modern humanism that are opened up by the gender critique, in relation to embodiment, subjectivity, and agency. The book investigates the effort to sustain humanism by means of an ethics of difference, of relationality, and of revaluation of nature, in such writers as Martha Nussbaum, Daphne Hampson, Lisa Sowle Cahill, Grace Jantzen, and Luce Irigaray. The central thrust of the book is, however, to understand these as echoes of the Nietzschean cry for redemption, and thus as signs of the failure of post-Enlightenment ethical thinking. With the help of Judith Butler's analyses of coming to matter, of subjection, and of performativity, the book concludes with the possibility of ather way of self-understanding and of renewal in theological ethics for our time.
- Author BiographySusan Frank Parsons is the Director of Pastoral Studies at the Margaret Beaufort Institute of Theology in Cambridge, UK. She has published many articles and a book entitled Feminism and Christian Ethics (CUP, 1996), which has been widely cited and appreciatively reviewed.
- Author(s)Susan Parsons
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication21/09/2001
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Series TitleNew Dimensions to Religious Ethics
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note0
- Weight314 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.