All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $19.14Trending at AU $22.14
About this product
- DescriptionBeavers are widely recognised as a keystone species which play a pivotal role in riparian ecology. Their tree felling and dam building behaviours coupled with a suite of other activities create a wealth of living opportunities that are exploited by a range of other species. Numerous scientific studies demonstrate that beaver-generated living environments that are much richer in terms of both biodiversity and biomass than wetland environments from which they are absent. Emerging contemporary studies indicate clearly that the landscapes they create can afford sustainable, cost-effective remedies for water retention, flood alleviation, silt and chemical capture. Beaver activities, especially in highly modified environments, may be challenging to certain land use activities and landowners. Many trialled and tested methods to mitigate against these impacts, including a wide range of n-lethal management techniques, are regularly implemented across Europe and North America. Many of these techniques will be new to people, especially in areas where beavers are newly re-establishing. This handbook serves to discuss both the benefits and challenges in living with this species, and collates the wide range of techniques that can be implemented to mitigate any negative impacts. The authors of this handbook are all beaver experts and together they have a broad range of scientific kwledge and practical experience regarding the ecology, captive husbandry, veterinary science, pathology, reintroduction and management of beavers in both continental Europe and Britain.
- Author BiographyThe authors of this handbook are experienced in working with both wild and captive beavers. This collaboration has involved a truly international range of experts. Their breadth of experience (constituting 201 years between them) and abilities range from academics actively involved in research to wildlife managers working in the field on mitigation and conservationists promoting beaver reintroduction.
- Author(s)Derek Gow,Duncan Halley,Frank Rosell,Gerhard Schwab,Helen Dickinson,John Gurnell,Roisin Campbell-Palmer,Simon J. Girling,Simon Jones,Skip Lisle
- PublisherPelagic Publishing
- Date of Publication15/08/2016
- SubjectLife Sciences: Zoology
- Series TitleConservation Handbooks
- Place of PublicationExeter
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPelagic Publishing
- Content Notecolour illustrations, black & white tables
- Weight440 g
- Width170 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.