About this product
- DescriptionHis Majesty's reign... I predict will be happy and truly glorious.-Benjamin Franklin. The 29th of January, 1757, was a table day in the life of Ben Franklin of Philadelphia, well kwn in the metropolis of America as printer and politician, and famous abroad as a scientist and Friend of the Human Race. It was on that day that the Assembly of Pennsylvania commissioned him as its agent to repair to London in support of its petition against the Proprietors of the Province, who were charged with having obstinately persisted in manacling their deputies [the Goverrs of Pennsylvania] with instructions inconsistent t only with the privileges of the people, but with the service of the Crown. We may, therefore, if we choose, imagine the philosopher on that day, being then in his fifty-first year, walking through the streets of this metropolis of America (a town of something less than twenty thousand inhabitants) to his modest home, and there informing his Dear Debby that her husband, w apparently become a great man in a small world, was ordered immediately home to England.
- Author(s)Carl L Becker
- Date of Publication20/11/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight141 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.